Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Knock On Wood

This morning I watched as a little fella beat his head against a wall. Well, technically it was a tree, but still, he pounded away for a good ten minutes. I’ve been there. If not literally, then metaphorically. I want to move forward, I’ve got things I need to be doing and my list of things to do is as long as a Chik-Fil-A drive thru line, but things keep getting in my way. Plans change, problems arise, Hollywood movies (Outbreak; Contagion) become real life, and yet I defiantly and stubbornly want to keep pounding away like normal.

Fortunately for him, that is exactly what he was designed by God to do. His name was Melanerpes Carolinus. Cue the, “You ain’t from around here are ya boy?” comments. Actually he is from around here, and judging by his crimson hat and houndstooth checkered jacket I’m pretty sure he’s an Alabama fan. He told me his friends usually just call him by his nickname, Woody. He was made for this, but I was not, and neither were you.

Why does stopping seem to be tougher than woodpecker lips for so many of us? Here is how I know the Bible was given by God and not man: if we wrote the Bible our favorite verses would read a little differently. “For we RUN by faith, not by sight” (2 Corinthians 5:7). “O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to RUN humbly with your God?” (Micah 6:8). “But I say, RUN by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh” (Galatians 5:16). “We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might RUN in newness of life” (Romans 6:4). I could go on, but I think you get the picture. Because we are addicted to life in the fast lane, I know what you are thinking, because I was thinking it too. “Doesn’t Hebrews 12:1 say, ‘Let us RUN with patience the race that is set before us’?” Indeed, it does, but it also says WITH PATIENCE. Patience implies there is going to be some slowing down, resting, and waiting along the way.

It seems that we, the sheep, are trying to lead our Shepherd. We keep saying, “Come on Lord, let’s go, gird up your loins, we’ve got work to do.” All the while our Shepherd is saying, “Lie down, your soul needs to be restored.” There is a reason David said, “He MAKES ME LIE DOWN in green pastures.” It is beside the still waters that He does His work to restore my soul (Psalm 23:2-3).

Had we been born in ancient Israel instead of modern America, today would be a sabbath day. A day of rest. There are many things we Americans excel at, rest is not one of them. We invented and perfected the 24 hour a day business model, not to mention fast food, express lanes, one hour dry cleaning, instant access, and next day delivery. Slowing down, stopping, and waiting is not on our to do list. Maybe that is why in the long ago God told His people, “You WILL STOP one day a week and do nothing but rest and reflect” (Exodus 20:8-11). I used to think the punishment for violating the sabbath was a little bit harsh — killing a man just for doing a little yard work on a Saturday, yikes! (Numbers 15:32-36) — sometimes Jade has to threaten to kill me to get me to do a little yard work.

Then it dawned on me, God was just giving humans what they wanted. “You want to neglect rest and work yourself to death? Fine, I’ll answer your prayer right now.” Isn’t that what actually happens when God gives us an inch, we want to take a foot? If God ignored this man ignoring His mandated time of rest and reflection, how long would it be before he was ignoring everything else God said about loving your neighbor as yourself? And how long before everyone else joined in and ignored these things too. Before you know it Jerusalem would be a city that never sleeps, filled with businesses that used unscrupulous and exploitative practices to price gouge and squeeze the last nickel — or more accurately, shekel — out of their neighbor. Soon enough everyone would be overworked and underpaid, stressed out and honking at the guy on the donkey in front of them because he didn’t take off the second the light turned green at the intersection. “C’mon Jehu! Goad your beast, I wanna be in Jezreel before rush hour!” (If that joke went over your head might I recommend using this day of rest to read 2 Kings 9, verse 20 specifically).

We are so addicted to going and doing that even when we are told by every governing agency to stop, we resist. Even when continuing to go, go, go is literally putting us and those we love at greater risk for sickness and death, we still push back. Now do you see why God commanded it for His people?

Thinking about how I always have a to do list longer than I have time on the clock is a little comical this morning when I’ve got more time than toilet paper. Why do so many of us seem to have a non-stop pecking inside our hard as hickory heads telling us to go-go-go, when so often God is gently knocking on the door to our hearts saying, “Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)? Keep in mind, this passage wasn’t written for the hustle and bustle of Black Friday’s and holiday seasons. It was written in a time of national calamity when people were frantically rushing about wondering, “What are we going to do?” God replies, “Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the world.” It is in the times of distress and uncertainty that the power, wisdom, and love of God is most magnified. It is during times that no one can do anything that God reminds us of why He is to be our everything.

Here is what is at the top of your to do list today, and everyday, and if this is the only thing you check off your list it was a good day:

“Fear God and keep His commandments, this is the whole duty of man” (Ecclesiastes 12:13).

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to disconnect, take the phone off the hook, delete my to do list and do some reflecting while I rest…. knock on wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment