Tuesday, April 24, 2018

My Russian Mail Order Bride

To my Russian mail order bride (<— insert inside joke here),

A couple of weeks ago I asked a room full of our married friends to tell us about the first time they met and when “they knew.” I was moderating the evening and wasn’t planning on, or even thinking about, participating. So, when the question was posed to me my answer was unworthy of the full story about when “I knew.” So today I decided to take the time to tell the story properly.

I “knew” when you jumped in Richland Creek with me to help lift Jennifer Bryant out of the water, so she wouldn’t drown, that you would be someone who would always be right beside me, even “If...”, as the proverbial mom question goes, “...I jumped off a cliff.”

I “knew” when you showed up that night with Purplesaurus Rex colored hair, because I told you that day you could dye your hair with Kool Aid, that you would be someone who would listen to me when I spoke, even if what I said was ridiculous.

I “knew” when you let me be your personal tour guide for all of Giles County (Fall River, Moonlight Ridge, Hannah Ward Bridge, Pennycuff, Mount Zion) that you would be someone who cared about the places I love so dearly that I call home.

I “knew” when you followed me over a fence, through a graveyard, into the woods, to a antebellum cemetery at night that you would always trust me, even when things didn’t look so good.

I “knew” when you laid on the hood of a car with me, staring up at the stars, listening to me explain that the shooting stars we were seeing were actually the Perseid meteors, just debris from the tail of the Swift-Tuttle comet passing through the Perseus constellation, that just being beside me was all that you wanted.

I “knew” when you took my vanilla ice cream cone out of my hand in McDonald’s and ate it, that I would always give you anything and everything you wanted.

I “knew” when you walked up to me in my cousin Greg’s grandmother’s kitchen and kissed me that I would never recover from that kiss.

I “knew” when you snuck out the next night to come see me (sorry Janet) that nothing would ever keep us apart.

I “knew” when you wrote me notes everyday, in every class, telling me every thought that popped into your head, that you trusted me with all your feelings, faults, and fears.

I “knew” when you went back to Tupelo for Thanksgiving break that I never wanted to spend another day apart from you.

I “knew” when you were willing to spend your eighteenth birthday listening to me sing George Jones and Elvis songs to you that you obviously “knew” too.

I “knew” when you forgave me for lying to you that I never wanted to hurt you again.

I “knew” when you fell to pieces because my little cousin Drew brought you a ring from my bedroom that I hadn’t given you yet, that the only thing in this world that you wanted was to know that we would be together forever.

I guess I’ve always known, and I still know, and everyday I want to know you more, and everyday I know another reason why.

I know because you are so cool that you sleep with your sunglasses on.

I know because you evolved from “fighting with” to “fighting for.”

I know because you notice and reach out to the outcast, the downtrodden, the neglected, and the ignored, and you always have.

I know because the sound of your voice, or sometimes just a glance, can make me, not just willing, but glad to do anything you want.

I know because you can make “Big Stupid Head” or just “B” sound like a royal title.

I know because you are unapologetically honest, real, and transparent.

I know because you act as if I can cook like a James Beard chef.

I know because you still look perfect with no makeup and a pony tail.

I know because your laugh is a symphony to me.

I know because you sing and dance with me to Phil Collins while we fold clothes.

I know things like this may seem random to you, but trust me, they aren't random, they are the harvest of a love and devotion to you that was planted twenty-five years ago, and that I have tended to, sometimes diligently and sometimes just dutifully, but always sincerely, every day since.


I know that I am thankful to know you.

No comments:

Post a Comment