Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What Advice Would You Give Your 14 Year Old Self?

Day 149 (Written Wednesday May 9) ~ Recently I was watching an interview show where the interviewer concluded by asking the celebrities the same question, “What would you say to your 14 year old self?” Some of their answers were silly, some were serious, some were insightful. It got me to thinking about that same question. At fourteen I was in the 8th grade and then started 9th grade (high school). It was one of the most influential and volatile times in my life. If I could talk to my 14 year old self, I would tell him, “Don’t go astray spiritually.” At 14 I was a very faithful (though relatively new) Christian. I was active and involved at my home congregation and tried my best to do what was right. Two years later I had completely abandoned my faith. It happened so fast and far too easy. Although I did make it through, it was at a price and it left plenty of scars. God was able to make good out of it, but He could have made good out of the other path too, without the consequences of sin. That was over twenty years ago and I still have to fight some of the battles that I invited in during those years. If I could talk to the 14 year old me I’d tell him to stay straight because he could make my life a little easier. What would you tell your 14 year old self?

No comments:

Post a Comment