Thursday, February 9, 2012

We Call Him Po

36, Day 57 (Written Monday February 6)
His name is Kase, but we all call him Po. When he was just old enough to pull himself up and stand, he would pat the TV with his hand and repeat the word "Po, Po, Po." His favorite thing to watch was the Teletubbies (glad he outgrew that), and one of the characters was named Po. He did it so often we just started calling him Po-Po. That was fourteen years ago, just a blink of the eye for me, but a lifetime for him.
Po is one of the most amazing, Christ-like, spiritually minded and pure people I have ever known. He's not without flaws, but his certainly are fewer and less obvious than his daddy's. Most of the times you think of the parents influencing the children to be better people, but with Po it is the opposite. He makes me a better person. Even in a crowd, whether it is his friends, grown ups or strangers, this young man is not afraid to go against the grain to speak out and stand his ground on what he believes is right. Amazingly, his personality wasn't always this outgoing.
Until Po was about ten he was VERY shy. I cannot emphasize this enough. Whenever people would ask him his name or how old he was, he would stand behind his brother and nudge him. Reese would then say, "His name is Kase. He's seven." Kase was scared of his own shadow and wouldn't venture two feet away from his "bubby" (brother). Ironically, about the time we started home schooling (you know that thing that causes kids to be under socialized, wink, wink), he came out of his shell. Po is shy no mo. In fact, I would say he is now our outgoing child, and he is hilarious. Po loves to act out characters and silly voices and he has a sharp, dry sense of humor with a quick wit.
The first time I really realized how strong his will and conviction could be was when he wanted to be baptized at age 10. I thought he was too young, way too young. I did not believe he was a sinner or that he was lost. I tried every gentle dissuasion that I could but he wouldn't budge or wait for anything. We talked and talked and talked until it was after midnight. Finally, he stood up to me, for the first time in his life. He said, "Daddy I'm not going to bed until you baptize me." My reaction was, if this little boy has the courage and determination to respectfully stand up to his daddy, then he's ready to obey his Father. I didn't see him as a sinner, but that is what he believed about himself, who was I to stand in his way. So that night, about 1:00 am, I baptized him in our bathtub. He isn't afraid to stand up to anyone when it comes to something he believes in.
One of my favorite things about Po is that he is a dreamer. He will be quiet for long periods of time, because he is thinking, not because he is shy, and suddenly come out with some great idea. He has big plans (Memphis School of Preaching, Freed Hardeman University, youth minister/licensed professional counselor and missionary) and dreams big too. I love that.
This week we've been at the Freed Hardeman University lectureship, working and talking to people about Latin American Missions. Po has been working right along side me. He talks to people, gives them our literature, answers their questions and encourages them to go with us on a campaign or support the work. I've been so proud as a dad to watch him and impressed as a person to be around him. His name is Po but he has made our lives rich.

6 comments:

  1. Awww, what a sweet tribute to Kase. We've been there with the baptism thing also. Emma was only seven or eight when she first started talking to her dad about it. For years we held her off, talking to her about making sure she knew what she was choosing and why. Finally at 11, Mike baptized her at camp. She knew what she was doing. Sometimes they lead us.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I may teach the boys more than they teach me, but what they teach me is more powerful.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy your blogs, you touch the heart. You and Jade have two wonderful sons, they have a love for God like no other. You both should be very proud of the "job" (I'm sure it's been more of a joy than job) you have done raising them. I pray you have much success with this new challenge in your lives and God be with you always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I said when I started this I was going to speak honestly from the heart, good or bad. I could say the same for your grandchildren. They are all amazing kids that I reference frequently when speaking on godly young people. Talked about Tyler last night in fact.

      Delete
  3. I loved hearing his vision for the future and Wow that kid has a big heart. He can make you crack up one minute and the next have you reflecting on your own heart because of his sincerity and honesty. You know Carter looks up to him and thinks he is the coolest thing ever. Well said Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I just sit a stare at him and wonder how we got such an amazing person like him out of the ingredients from me and his mom.

      Delete