Friday, May 18, 2012

Boiled Peanuts

Day 156 (Written Wednesday May 16) ~ Year after year when I was a child I sat in the back seat of my parents car as we made the eight hour trip South to the Gulf Coast. Once we got south of Montgomery, Alabama I would begin to see roadside signs and setups selling boiled peanuts. To my young mind, and still ingrained to this day, these boiled peanut stands were the mascots of the deep south. These stands littered the back roads of Florida, Georgia and Alabama. For over thirty years I have seen these signs, but I have never once tried a boiled peanut.....until today. When our good friends the Tutens learned that we had never eaten boiled peanuts they insisted that we try some. Saturday we stopped at Farmer Brown’s Fresh Produce market and bought some green peanuts. Michelle boiled them for us and today, for the first time in my life, I tried boiled peanuts. Here’s my assessment of them: they are very juicy, a little squishy, very salty and they reminded me of potatoes. All in all I liked them. I’ve never tried stone crabs either, anyone want to insist that I try them and cook me some of those?

No comments:

Post a Comment