Saturday, April 28, 2012

What I Love About Kase

Day 127 (Written Tuesday April 17) ~ I would love my sons no matter what. From the moment I held them for the first time I was completely hooked. When the doctor handed them to me they were permanently attached to my heart. That doesn’t mean sometimes they don’t make me want to pull my hair out. I love them simply because they are my kids, but there are certain things that I specifically love about each of my sons. I told you about those things about Reese, now let me tell you what I love about Kase. I love the innocence that is in his heart. I have been privileged to know some really wonderful, genuine, pure, godly Christians in my life, but I can say without hesitation that Kase is the purest of them all. And its not that pseudo innocence that is judgmental, holier than thou and offended at everything. He is just genuinely pure in heart in the best possible way. Don’t misunderstand me, he isn’t perfect, but his is unquestionably pure. I can’t think of a time the child has ever lied to us. There have been a couple of times where he almost did, but before he could get it out he confessed that it wasn’t true. Whenever he hears something new or different, his first reaction is to question whether or not God would approve. When songs come on the radio that are inappropriate or something comes on the tv that is, he turns it without any admonition from an adult. I wish I was as pure in heart as he is. I love that Kase can sit for hours doing the same thing without even making a sound. He loves to build things, draw things, create things and he does so frequently with his iPad, notebooks, Legos, or anything he can get his hands on. When he was a little boy he would sit for hours playing with cars on his rug. Now he sits for hours with pieces of machinery or technology that he has taken apart, or looking at his coin collection, or his rock collection, or his discovered junk collection. He can spend hours in silence, completely engulfed in his interests. I love that Kase is a techie. His obsession is all things Apple. Whenever I look into buying a piece of technology I let him know ahead of time and he begins scouring the internet for deals and details. He is like my own personal Consumer Report. When we are in the Apple store, the associates laugh and tell him that he knows more about their products than they do. He reads everything he can get his hands on and he keeps notes concerning them too. But here’s where it really gets cool. He once wanted an iPad and he told everyone in the family he only wanted money for his birthday and for Christmas. He saved his own money for months and then used what he got from others to buy his iPad. Shortly after he bought it they released the iPad 2, so he began the process again. Saving, waiting and selling his iPad to buy the new one. He is patient and frugal when it comes to obtaining what he wants. I wish I was more like him in that regard. I love his complete lack of ego and eccentric personality. Kase really doesn’t worry about what people think of him. He doesn’t take himself too seriously and has a dozen or more characters that he will break out at the drop of a hat. When he was a little child he was so incredibly shy. I can’t stress enough how introverted and bashful he was. Oddly enough, when we began homeschooling (you know that thing that makes kids socially awkward, sarcasm), his personality bloomed. He doesn’t hesitate to be the center of attention with some ridiculous costume or hilarious voice. I think the only thing I love more than his funny voices is his infectious laughter. One of the things he enjoys the most is watching Americas Funniest Home Videos. I like the show too, but its listening to him laugh at the show that I truly love. He laughs hysterically. If he finds a funny video he will rewind it and watch it as many as a dozen times over, laughing even more intensely each time. His laughter is my best medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment