Sunday, April 29, 2012

These are a few of my least favorite things...

Day 129 (Written Thursday April 19) ~ Ok, in all honesty, the title for this blog is a little watered down. It should actually read “things I hate.” My family tells me that I have tendency to be a little negative at times. They’ve actually stated they don’t like to watch tv or listen to the radio with me because I spend so much time hatin’. What can I say, I love to hate. Not people, but things. Here are a few. I hate reality TV shows. I hate reality TV shows. When I was in high school MTV debuted The Real World. I actually liked that show a lot and thought it was innovative and creative. That didn’t last very long. Within a couple of seasons it had become a showcase for people who wanted to break into show business. It didn’t take long for it to become a competition to see who could out trash the previous seasons. Reality TV was born and it doesn’t look like it will ever grown old and die. Reality TV isn’t real, which is why I can’t stand it. It takes regular people (read, non-actors) and puts them in front of a camera to act out scripted scenarios and (mostly) confrontations although they are not trained to act. Usually this just results in a morse code like series of beeps. I would rather exercise or visit Hobby Lobby than watch what the Kardashians are doing or what’s happening on the Jersey Shore. I hate infomercials. I hate them because what they have to offer is junk, lies and manipulation. The weight loss ones are the absolute worst. The success stories are paid actors, usually professional body builders and trainers who agree to put on excess weight and then shed it quickly (by following a regiment that a normal, average person never could do) and claim it was this miracle new work out or diet that did the trick. Some of the less scrupulous ones simply use photoshopped images. Do you know why there are so many of them on TV at all hours of the day? Because people are buying that garbage. Ok, I got that out of my system. I am getting down off of my soap box for now and I promise my next blog post will be a little more positive. I realize that you may love these things, and that’s your right and I respect it, I just hate it for you ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment