Sunday, April 29, 2012

Songs I Cannot Sing (Volume 6): Where Does The Good Go

Day 131 (Written Saturday April 21) ~ Sometimes when you expect little, you acquire much. A couple of years back I took my sons and some of their friends to see a concert in Nashville. There was one band that I was mildly interested in seeing but as it turned out, an opening act that I had never even heard of stuck with me long after the show had ended. The band was called Tegan & Sara and they are two sisters from Canada. Their music is tough for me to categorize, which is a huge plus in itself. You will likely never hear them on the radio, but it is worth your time and effort to find them online and have a listen. The best description I can think of for them is Contemporary 80’s music, and you know how I loves me some 80’s music. They have a number of songs that I love, but there is one that really sucker punches me when I hear it. Unlike most of the other songs in this list of tear jerkers, this one does not mention a wife and kids and the traditional vulnerabilities that bring tears to my eyes. I can’t necessarily relate to these lyrics, but for one reason or another, they are so sad to me that I can’t even sing along with the radio. Perhaps that is what makes it such a good song, it can draw you into the emotions of the situation, even if it is foreign to you, and then break your heart along with the object of the song. “Where do you go with your broken heart in tow, what do you do with the left over you? And how do you know, when to let go, where does the good go, where does the good go?” These lyrics serve as the build up, the setting for the story, which is immediately followed by the emotional repercussions and damage left in the aftermath of a break up. These are the words that I simply cannot sing, “Look me in the eye and tell me you don’t find me attractive, look me in the heart and tell me you won’t go. Look me in the eye and promise no love’s like our love, look me in the heart and unbreak broken, it won’t happen.” Promises made in love can elevate you to heights never experienced and when they are broken, they can send you crashing back down to the ground mercilessly. I’m sure we’ve all made and broken those promises, and we’ve all believed them only to have them ripped away in an instant, leaving us to wonder, where did the good go?

No comments:

Post a Comment