Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Pulpit That Fits Like An Old Pair Of Jeans

Day 132 (Written Sunday April 22) ~ Most all of us have that one special pair of jeans that just fit perfectly. You’ve probably had them for years and will keep them until they fall to pieces. You love to put them on and wear them because they are so comfortable. There is a pulpit that feels like this to me, and I had a chance to “put it on” tonight. Five years ago I walked out of the pulpit at the East Hill Church of Christ for the last time. In the eight years working with that congregation I had preached hundreds of sermons from that pulpit. I preached my first sermon there. I performed countless weddings and funerals from there. As far as being comfortable as a preacher, that pulpit fits me like an old pair of jeans, but it was a pair of jeans I hadn’t worn in a long time. Tonight I stepped in that pulpit again to preach a sermon. I don’t know how it came across to those in the pews, but I was almost electrified with anticipation. The pews were filled with familiar faces, including my parents. For me the time seemed to fly by, although it was actually over 30 minutes. Just like those comfortable jeans you love but you don’t wear them everyday, I won’t be in that pulpit very often. At present, I am scheduled to be back in October of this year. When I get back in that pulpit this fall I hope it will still fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment