Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My Favorite Poems (Volume 1): The Road Not Taken

Day 109 (Written Friday March 30) ~ I was probably in the sixth or seventh grade the first time I read a poem beyond Dr. Seuss. It was in English class that we had to memorize a poem. I was less than enthused to say the least. Imagine that, a twelve year old boy not being excited to read and then memorize poetry. So you can imagine my surprise when I actually liked the poem. I more than liked it, I did memorize it, and nearly 25 years later I can still recite it. Those iconic words, “Two road diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both, and be one traveler, long I stood, and looked down one as far as I could, to where it bent in the undergrowth”, grabbed my attention and never let it go.
In the many years since I had read and memorized many other poems, yet these words of Robert Frost created my interest. My taste in poetry is much like my taste in music, all across the board and unpredictable. It wasn’t long after reading this poem that I decided to start writing my own. And while I’ve never written anything that could be mentioned in the same breath as Robert Frost, it has provided an emotional outlet that has been both fulfilling and freeing. “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” What are your favorite poems?

No comments:

Post a Comment