Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Church All Day Long

Day 105 (Written Monday March 26) ~ Most people would think going to church all day long would be a violation of the Geneva Convention. More torture than waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay. Even a lot of Christians would have this reaction (judging by attendance at most lectureships, seminars and ladies or mens days). But not for us. Going to church all day, and all night, for a week has been normal for our family for well over a decade now.
The life of a preacher and his family is a little different from most, not better or worse, just different. One of those differences is the frequency with which we are in religious assemblies (VBS, Gospel meetings, lectureships, etc). I remember one July several years ago where our family was literally in some type of church related service every day but four in the month. Some of you are probably contemplating calling the Department of Child Welfare and turning me in for abuse about now, but how many days over the next four months are you going to have your children on a baseball field?
This week we have been at the Memphis School of Preaching lectureship (where I graduated from preaching school). I haven’t been able to attend in about three years, and I have been immediately reminded of why I always loved coming. Today we had lunch with two of our most beloved friends/families and sitting around that huge table with great food, all of our children, stories and laughter, I couldn’t help but think this is what heaven is going to be like. So many friends that I rarely get to see are here. So many great sermons, delivered by very skilled speakers, dealing with topics that really affect my day to day life. Wonderful food. Hyperventilating laughter. Encouragement. Fun. This is our life. Many may not understand it, some might even despise it, but we live by it. Maybe I had so much heathen in me growing up that I need this to keep it out, or maybe I’ve gotten enough of God and His love in my heart now that I just want to be as close to Him as I can for as long as I can, as often as I can. Either way, I’m happy to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment