Thursday, February 16, 2012

Non-Traditional Traditions


36, Day 65 (Written Tuesday February 14) ~ You've heard me explain before how our family is very non-traditional in our traditions, and this year's Valentine's Day was no exception. We don't do a dozen roses, stuffed animals, candy, etc. I should state up front that Jade and I truly do try to make every day our Valentine's Day. We don't always succeed, but most of the time we do. We give gifts, cards, calls, flowers, cook, have romantic getaways, etc, etc, etc. Of course mixed in with all of that is miscommunication, disappointment, frustration, etc, etc, etc. However, the negatives are the exception rather than the rule.
This year was a partial recreation of our first Valentine's Day together. The night of February 14, 1994, Jade came over to my parents house where I had set up a little round table in front of the bay window with candle light and white table cloth. I cooked her angel hair pasta with alfredo sauce and chicken parmesan, with garlic bread. On the table was a fancy glass (I'm sure it has a fancy name, but I don't know what it is) with a rose floating in water. We had just turned 18 and were madly in love and it was the first time I remember actually feeling like an adult. We had a wonderful night that still hasn't ended 18 years later.
Tonight our big fancy Valentine's Day involved us getting in bed at 5:00 pm and taking a 2 hour nap together, after which I got up and cooked her chicken parmesan, angel hair pasta with alfredo sauce, and garlic bread. A few weeks earlier I had gotten her some decorative dish towels she wanted for the new house and some Vera Bradley stuff she wanted, but tonight was just us doing what we started nearly two decades ago, just being together eating good food. The only thing I wanted to do that night was make her feel more loved than she ever had and to let her know how much I wanted her in my life and that is still all I want to do. Our tradition has become showing each other everyday that the love of the other is the greatest gift of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment