Friday, February 3, 2012

Name That Tune

36, Day 52 (Written Wednesday February 1

One of my passions in life is music. Don't misunderstand, I don't play music, I cannot sing, but I love music. It all began, I'm embarrassed to admit this, with Poison, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard tapes I got for Christmas when I was about 12. Not long after I bought an M.C. Hammer tape (yes I said tapes, I was a good four years away from my first CD, do they even make those anymore?). Thankfully at age 14 I got a tape of The Door greatest hits and my musical taste began to improve. Not long after Bryan Beets gave me a Pearl Jam's "Ten" cd and then Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video hit and I finally developed a sense of style musically. Mixed in with all of this was my dad's Travis Tritt cd, a Clint Black tape and hours of 50's music. Put it all together and I learned to appreciate all types of music. When Jade and I met one of the things that we had in common was a love of music and we loved introducing one another to our unique musical favorites. We loved making each other mix tapes (remember those?). This has only grown since I've become an adult. I've learned to appreciate virtually all types of music (having a teenage music lover in the house helps keep me up to date on new music). I'd like to share with you a few bands/artists you may or may not have heard of, and if you haven't, you need to.
John Boutte is the second coming of Sam Cooke. He was born and raised and still lives in the Treme neighborhood of New Orleans and has a soft, yet powerful, raspy voice that is as smooth as a snake oil salesman. I don't really know how to classify his music, and in my opinion music that defies classification is often the best. If I had to pick one it might be contemporary jazz. He does old standards, folk songs and even hymns. For a good sample of his stuff, check out It Don't Cost Very Much, Treme, Washed My Hands In Muddy Water, Change Gonna Come and If I Had My Life To Live Over.
Adam Hood is a singer/songwriter from South Alabama. With him there is no pretense. His studio albums have full band accompaniment, but this guy is at his best with just his acoustic guitar. He's got that stereotypical hoarse, southern rock voice and his songs are completely relatable. They are full of heartbreak, long hours on the road far from home, and chasing dreams that seem to stay just out of reach. His albums are great, but unlike many musicians, his real talent is seen in his live performances. Check out songs like Coffee Song, I Wanna Be With You, Million Miles Away and Tuesday Night.
Brandi Carlile was a very pleasant discovery on a Saturday evening while grilling by the creek and listening to A Prairie Home Companion. She is somewhat like a female version of Adam Hood. All she needs to stop you in your tracks is her acoustic guitar and her sometimes cracking voice. She has the power to make you feel her pain when she sings. You will likely never hear her songs on the radio, but they are better than anything you will ever hear on pop radio. There are only three songs you need to hear to be hooked, Turpentine, Josephine and The Story, oh, let me tell you about The Story. "All of these lines upon my face, tell you the story of where I've been....but these stories don't mean anything, if you've got no one to tell them to, it's true, I was made for you." When she repeats this line in the second chorus and her voice cracks, it will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck and bring tears to your eyes. I challenge you to name a Britney Spears song that could ever do that.
Tegan And Sara are a sister act that should have been superstars in the early 80's. I ran across them when they opened for Paramore in Nashville a couple of years ago. I had never heard of them before that night and they hooked me instantly. Not just the music but the stage show as well. They sound like synth pop music from the 80's. I have to confess that I have a special place in my heart for that era and style of music, but these girls do it far better than The Buggles, Divo or Animotion ever did. If you are ever in the mood to time warp back to the days of day glo bracelets and parachute pants, turn on Crocodile Tears, Where Does The Good Go, Don't Rush or Back In Your Head. When you hear the line "Where do you go with your broken heart it tow, what do you do with the left over you, and how do you know when to let go, where does the good go, where does the good go" you will feel like a love sick seventh grader again and when the chorus comes in with "Look me in the eye and tell me you don't find me attractive, look me in the heart and tell me you won't go" you will be glad you aren't a love sick seventh grader anymore.
Check out some of these artists on iTunes, Pandora or ask me and I'll gladly make you a cd, or better yet, a mix tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment