Saturday, February 11, 2012

MENistry


36, Day 61 (Written Friday February 10) ~ I've been to Men's Days, Youth Days, Youth Retreats, Marriage Retreats, Lectureships, Gospel Meetings, Bible Camps, Lectureships and Mission Trips, but today was a first for me. I had the privilege of attending a men's retreat with the West Huntsville Church of Christ at Camp Ne Yot Ti in Guntersville, Alabama.
First off, the guys were all amazing. I was so impressed with their spiritual knowledge and focus. We talked about sports and technology and other typical guy stuff, but we also sat around talking about important stuff too. Too often at spiritual events, the spiritual part takes a backseat to the "fun." Not so with these guys.
A second great part was the food. They told me there were a couple of rules: #1 this is not a ladies retreat so no decorations, doilies, lacy/frilly things, no gifts and no chicken salad sandwiches. We at NY Strip steaks and baked potatoes. Man food.
A third great part was the singing. I haven't been in an all male gospel singing session since my days at the Memphis School of Preaching. It was a bit stunning how powerful the voices of thirty plus men could be. We had no song books or song leaders, just each of us spontaneously starting a song and the rest joining in. It was an empowering experience.
This was my first mens retreat, but I certainly hope it won't be my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment