Thursday, February 16, 2012

Keep It Between The Lines


36, Day 64 (Written Monday February 13) ~ The title of today's blog comes from an old country song, but for me it comes from my grandaddy Richard. Just as my grandaddy Sam never said goodbye, but instead opted for "Toddlie doodlie", my grandaddy Richard always said goodbye with the expression, "Keep it between the lines." At the risk of insulting your intelligence, let me explain that this expression refers to the lines on the road and the fact you need to keep your car between them when driving (my family always tells me that I over explain everything). This was a very appropriate comment for him because for 30 years he was a traveling salesman. He would leave early Monday morning and head out to Kentucky, Georgia, Arkansas, Mississippi (thanks to Jade for teaching me the Mis-sis-sippi song for spelling purposes), Florida, Louisiana, the Carolinas, Alabama, all over the South, and not return until Friday evening.
Lately I have found myself thinking about him a lot, and relating to him, perhaps more than I ever have. My job now takes me all over the country all the time. I think about him while I'm driving and imagine him traveling down these very same roads. As strange as it may seem, it makes me feel closer to him, able to relate to him. The funny thing is, I noticed the other day while cruising down the interstate that I drive like him. He used to have this lean that he did when driving for more than a few miles and I realized the other day that I do it too. After talking with my memaw I learned that I have another thing I do in restaurants that he always did as well.
I can do a 500 mile drive like it's nothing after making 6 of them in the last few weeks. This year isn't even two months old and we're are 6,000 miles in. I have literally spent six times as many nights in hotel beds as my own bed this month, and we're just getting started. We have entire months planned where we will be "home" (wherever that is currently, Chicken Creek Road or Lake Park, Georgia?) less than one week. Don't misunderstand this as complaining, in fact it is the opposite. We are loving every minute of it. We are seeing the country, meeting amazing people, speaking in strong, committed churches and making so many new friends. We chose this life because it fits us.
This is where I am different from my grandfather. I don't think he enjoyed his travels and being away from home so much, but he had to make a living and take care of his family, which he dutifully did. Also unlike him, I get to do most of my traveling with my family. Even as I sit in this hotel room writing this I am looking at my wife taking care of her business and my sons doing their school work. Even though I am 500 miles from my house (either one, Pulaski or Lake Park), I am at home. Grandaddy Richard has been gone for awhile now and I miss him so much, but when driving down the road I keep it between the lines just like he told me to, and doesn't seem so far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment