Saturday, February 11, 2012

If You Don't Like Your Life, Change It


36, Day 60 (Written Thursday February 9) ~ One of the most frequently repeated comments I have heard lately from people who learn what we are doing is, "I wish I could do something like that." (In case you are wondering, the other most commonly repeated statement is, "You have lost your mind.") I have talked with a lot of people who are not happy with where their lives are or where they are going. They are going through the motions, making a living, paying the bills, getting by, passing the time. Been there, done that, nearly lost my mind.
At this stage in my life one of the greatest regrets I have is that I didn't have the courage to do what I really wanted to do sooner. I had my ever ready bag of excuses: I want my kids to grow up the way I did....I've got a lot of things that I want to accomplish first.....the timing just isn't right.....when the boys get a little bit older then I will.....etc, etc, etc. Truth is, those were just excuses for not being brave enough to change what I didn't like. I had, and perhaps you have, a stirring deep down in my heart that repeatedly surfaced, but I was always able to bury it underneath entertainment, work, family commitments, etc, etc, etc. Recently I have been blessed to meet some truly amazing people who refuse to live this way. They are risk takers, dreamers, doers and people who are busy making things happen instead of debating with others all of the potential objections, obstacles and reasons why they can't or shouldn't. People like this make it impossible to be content with a "normal" life.
If you are reading this and you are one of those people who have been saying "I wish..." for far too long, stop wishing and start doing. Wouldn't you rather fail doing something that succeed in doing nothing? I once read a book with the chilling and challenging quote, "This is your life, and it's ending one second at a time." If you don't like your life change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment