Tuesday, January 31, 2012

36, Day 48 (Written Saturday January 28) ~ One Last Look

Today was a tough day emotionally. I emptied out the last of my belongings from my office at Fairview and turned in my keys to the building and office. No one was in the building but me, so I took one last, long stroll through the building. I went in the classrooms, looked at the shirts hanging in the teen class, and yes, I stood in the pulpit one last time. The place was dark and empty, but I stood there for a good three minutes, feeling the wood of the pulpit under my hands, and looked at every section of the auditorium. All alone, I quoted a Scripture, and then with some heaviness in my heart, walked down from the pulpit. I strolled back to the office and stood in the doorway for one last look. I reflected upon all of the hour spent in that room studying or talking with people about things they were dealing with in life. I remembered all of the good and fun things we did in the back during O.A.S.I.S. or the Progressive Dinner. I smiled when I pictured those little faces on the front pew during I.O.U., beaming with enthusiasm for the chance to talk into the microphone. Great memories.
I hope you don't get the impression that I am second guessing my decisions. I am not. I have never been more sure of anything I've ever done. I am where God wants me to be, and though others may not understand or agree, I have no doubts. However, everything comes with a price, and for me, the price for chasing my dreams, is leaving home. During sad times like today I turn to my faith to help me with my feelings. In order for Abraham to receive the promises God had given him, he had to leave Ur of the Chaldees. In order for Israel to inherit the Promised Land they had to leave Egypt. In order for David to assume the throne in Jerusalem, he had to leave his father's pastures in Bethlehem. In order for the Brittons to receive whatever blessing God has in store for us, we have to leave Pulaski.

Pulaski.

No comments:

Post a Comment