Sunday, January 22, 2012

36, Day 42 (Written Saturday January 21) ~ My Bucket Runneth Over


There is a difference between contentment and complacency. Contentment is a good thing. More than that, it is a godly thing. If we have food and clothes we should be content (1 Timothy 6:8). We should not be covetous people, but content with what we have (Hebrews 13:5). It’s not always easy to become content, even Paul had to learn how to be (Philippians 4:11). Content means, if it never gets any better than it is right now, I am fine with that, and even if it gets worse, I’m ok with that too. Just because I am content doesn’t mean I want to be complacent. Complacent means uncritical satisfaction with one’s self or achievements. That, is not good or godly. Paul was content, but he also said, “Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:12-14).

I live a life of contentment because I am blessed beyond measure. I have my health, family, friends, a home, my faith, plenty of food, a job. I have a good, blessed life and I know my cup runneth over. I am content, but I am not complacent. Last year my wife put together a bucket list (a list of things you want to do/see/accomplish before you kick the bucket), and within a few months marked several things off that list (like running a half marathon). She inspired me to think about things that I wanted to accomplish before I kick the bucket. I realize this list in itself may seem silly to some, and that some of the things on this list will seem silly to some of you, and some of this may be nearly impossible, but this is a glimpse into my heart and my dreams in no particular order.

1. I want to attend a College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska. 2. I want to travel from New York to Los Angeles and then to Jacksonville (coast to coast and back again) in an RV. 3. I want to live in New Orleans. 4. I want to learn to speak Cajun. 5. I want to watch a football game at all 14 SEC football stadiums (I’ve already been to 4). 6. I want to attend culinary school (or at least take cooking classes). 7. I want to watch a major motion picture being filmed. 8. I want to watch a song be recorded in a studio. 9. I want to watch a football game from a skybox. 10. I want to spend a week on a sailboat. 11. I want to build something that will last a long time (I actually did that recently when I built Jade a coffee table from). 12. I want to own an old Mustang (1965) and/or and old Toyota pick up. 13. I want to publish a book. 14. I want to learn to play a song on some instrument (guitar or piano) and perform it publicly. 15. I want to write a song and finish it completely (instruments included).

So there it is. Nothing epic like climbing Mount Everest or running a marathon, but it’s what I’d like to experience and accomplish. I’d love to know what you think of these and what you have on your bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment