Friday, January 20, 2012

36, Day 40 (Written Thursday January 19) ~ Man Card vs. Love Bank


I realize what I’m about to say may result in deductions from my man card, but that’s ok because I know it made deposits in my love bank. If you are confused, let me explain.

Man Card = an imaginary scoreboard used to determine how much of a man you are. The man card is a means of tallying all of your manly acts or unmanly acts. For example, if you stop and help change a tire for a lady on the side of the road in the cold or rain, you get points added to your man card. If, however, you watch a movie based on a Nicholas Sparks book (The Notebook, Nights In Rodanthe, etc) you lose points on your man card (your card will be revoked if you watch it and cry).

Love Bank = a scoreboard that exists in the heart of your loved ones that keeps track of every loving thing you do (a deposit) and every hurtful thing you do (a withdrawal). When you do something that warms someone’s heart a deposit is made, make enough and you are love rich. When you do something hurtful to them a withdrawal is made, make too many of them and you become love bankrupt.

Back to the events of the day. I spent today at the Royal Brush in Columbia painting pottery. I know some of you guys just turned away in disgust, throwing up your hands in protest of my unmanly offense. However, I need to point out a few facts in my defense. One, before you decry doing pottery as not masculine, ask any woman in your life how she feels about Patrick Swazy helping Demi Moore with pottery in Ghost. Sissy or sexy? Two, the most manly thing a man can do is anything that shows his wife that he loves her enough to do, and enjoy, the things that are important to her. Whether it be pottery or painting, a day at the mall or date nights that end in watching a Nicholas Sparks movie. This is where the love bank comes into play.

My wife told me that she wanted us to spend a day painting pottery to give to friends and family for Christmas gifts this year. We were supposed to be in Valdosta today for our house closing, another story for another time, so we had a free day on the calendar. We took off this morning for Columbia. Six hours and six pieces of pottery later, we headed for home. If you haven’t done this before, it is amazingly relaxing. I put on my iPod, start painting and any stress just disappears. That’s one great benefit, but the icing on the cake is that I got to spend the day with my wife and one of my sons doing something different and fun and sitting around talking and laughing all day. As if that wasn’t enough, my love bank is full, and whether or not you guys revoke my card, my wife thinks I’m the man!

No comments:

Post a Comment