Friday, January 6, 2012

36, Day 24 (Written Tuesday January 3) ~ Is There An App For That?


Yesterday started out just like any other day. We got up, did some cleaning, did some packing, made some phone calls. I had made an appointment to eat lunch with Paul Sain at Legends at 11:30. When I showed up, it was Paul and his wife, Robert Hatfield and his wife and two of the elders. It was a pleasant surprise and very enjoyable lunch filled with lots of funny old stories and tales of things that had happened to us as preachers. Before they brought out the food, Paul ran over to the Christmas tree in the corner of the room and brought something out from under it. He sat before me a brand new, very nice, leather briefcase. I was ecstatic. Just the day before Jade and I had been shopping for one. As I sat admiring it and thanking them, Paul told me to open it up and check it out. In side was a 64Gig iPad 2 3G, along with money for a case, iTunes cards for apps, car chargers, adapters, everything you could want and need for it. I was so stunned I didn’t even know how to respond and it didn’t register in my mind what they were doing so Paul explained. The congregation at East Hill had taken up donations from the members who wanted to contribute and they took the money and bought all of these things for me to have to use in my travels and work as a missionary.

There is so much that I could say about this as appreciation and thanks, but I want to focus on something else. I know some of those who read this blog aren’t Christians or aren’t faithfully serving Christ or have been hurt/jilted/burned/frustrated by members of the church. You are who I am talking to. Please know or be reminded, that you will never meet a more giving and caring group of people than the church of Christ. I grew up at East Hill and preached there for many years, but I have been gone for five years. The congregation is already supporting me heavily as a missionary, yet they still chose to do this also. They went above and beyond. They have never been content to do just enough, but always strive to make your “cup runneth over.”

I’m issuing a challenge to you today. In the next couple of days, give to someone(s) in an overflowing way. Don’t just give some or enough, but overflow. It doesn’t even have to be money. It could be time, an act of service, a gift, words of praise and encouragement, just make a priority to give a lot of something to someone and make their day, their week. Surprise them with something good that they didn’t see coming. There’s an app for that, it’s Galatians 6:10, “So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.” They didn’t just do good, they did grrrrreeeaattt! Thanks again by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment