Thursday, December 29, 2011

36, Day 14 (Written Saturday December 24) ~ My Favorite Christmas





There’s something you need to know before we go any farther. My wife is like a little kid when it comes to Christmas, and I mean that in every possible way. She loves this time of year with an unrelenting passion. She wants the tree up at Thanksgiving. She checks the mail religiously with anticipation of Christmas cards. She decorates the entire house, she even has Christmas plates (as in multiple sets, not just multiple plates). She will literally have her Christmas shopping done before summer is over. And just like a kid, she loves presents and hates to wait to get them. It is next to impossible to get her something that she doesn’t know about and keep from giving it to her until Christmas, but this year I did.

I waited until two days before Christmas and I ran away for a day to build her some Christmas presents. I had been listening throughout the year when she mentioned certain things she liked or showed me pictures of things that made her giddy. So armed with scrap lumber and borrowed tools I got to work on four projects, of which all but one were made from old discarded pallets. You read that right, old discarded pallets. I made her a thing to hang on the wall to hold picture frames (complete with black frames with pictures of our family), an outdoor patio table with wheels, and a piece of wall art with a heart that says love which she saw on Pinterest. The last piece I made her was a coffee table built from wood salvaged from a 200 year old tobacco barn with shadow box top made form a window out of my grandparents old house. I gave them to her today and she had no idea about any of it. She was totally surprised and blown away. She was so thrilled she didn’t know how to react. This is my favorite Christmas because it was one of the rare times when I was able to completely surprise Jade with something that she truly loved. I’m already planning for next year....just don’t let Jade know ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment