Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Spiritual Calendar


Sitting in my lap right now is my calendar. There is something written on virtually every day (and this is a slow month). My planner contains trips, events, due dates, requirements, commitments, plans, ideas and reminders. I live and die by this calendar. It tells me what I have to do today, how I need to dress, what I need to get done this week and to stay focused on for the month. When I don't consult my calendar I forget things, even important things. Most people I know are busy, and I'm no exception. My time is valuable and my calendar helps me to get the most out of my time.
Now think about your schedule for the next week, the next month. What do you have scheduled to do that is spiritually edifying or in service to Christ? Don't count Sunday or Wednesday worship and Bible class, because for a Christian those should be automatic. Everything in our lives should be scheduled around the assembly. What I'm talking about is "extra" service and worship. Will you be attending any Gospel meetings, lectureships, ladies days, men's retreats or marriage seminars? Have you planned to host a devotional, conduct a Bible study, make a visit or take some food to someone who is sick or grieving? Have you scheduled a day to work on a bulletin board or decorate a classroom?
If we don't make a pointed effort to plan and schedule time to do spiritual works, we won't think to do them or we'll make other plans that conflict with them. Why not sit down right now and look at your calendar and schedule some godly activities. If there are none planned in your area that you can attend, plan one yourself. It's past time that we make time.

P.S. We are going to be leaving from Fairview at 8:00 am Monday February 7 to go to the Freed Hardeman University Lectures and we'd love to have you go with us. The sign up sheet and schedule is on the bulletin board in the foyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment