Thursday, December 7, 2023

Happy, Happy Birthday Baby



 The first birthday we celebrated together was her 18th, December 7, 1993. We had only known one another for four months, but I’m pretty sure that was the night she fell in love with me — I had already fallen in love with her the day we met. We didn’t do anything amazing and had Instagram existed back then it probably wouldn’t have even warranted a photo, but it did create a memory that is still vivid three decades later. That night I took my record collection over to her house and I sang her Elvis, Conway Twitty and George Jones songs until the early morning hours. 

Subsequent years would be spent in more exciting ways, but I don’t know if they can top — at least in my mind — the first one….that is, until this one. The most mesmerizing way to view someone you love is to merely observe them doing what they love, and for Honey, what she loves is serving the people she loves. The circumstances surrounding the birth of our granddaughter have necessitated we stay with our children during the first few days since the baby was born. 

I told her last night that God always has a way of working with what we bring to Him. I can’t remember the last time she was able to sleep through the night and that played to her advantage this week. She’s gladly joined in to help with the overnight feedings and diaper changes that our sweet Magnola has needed. Additionally, she has cooked food, washed dishes, done laundry, played nurse and gone to doctor appointments, all with an ear to ear smile on her face. It’s not a burden or a chore, she genuinely loves it and thrives when she’s needed.

For Honey, service is always with a smile. Serving is her love language and she is fluent in love. Seeing Honey helping others is as natural as observing a fish in water or bird in flight. It was what she was created to do and she does it with a skill equivalent to an artist.

Recently a quote I came across has become one of my favorites, and today it reminds me of her. “The monk wakes at 4am to pray. The young mom wakes at 4am to warm a bottle. God meets them both.” She’s not a young mom, but she is a new grandmother, and there is nothing more divine than watching her with her grand babies. Time may erase our youth, but it engraves our lasting beauty. When I met her at seventeen I’d never seen anyone prettier, and watching her all these years later I’ve never seen anything more beautiful. Our first birthday together we were just children and this birthday we get to enjoy with our grandchildren. Every time I watch her with her grand babies I fall even more in love with her.

I’m reminded of a George Jones song thinking about her this morning. “Loving you could never be better than it is right now.”

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go sing her a song.

She's as sweet as Tupelo honey

She's an angel of the first degree

She's as sweet, she's as sweet as Tupelo honey

Just like honey, baby, from the bee,




No comments:

Post a Comment