Friday, March 7, 2014

Put Another Dime In The Jukebox (3rd Set)


     Ok, so things have gotten a little heavy around here lately, and while introspection is important, singing at the top of your lungs is too. Sadly, I haven't been listening to music much lately, so I thought I'd share a little with you (as I sit and listen to Led Zeppelin IV for the first time in ages).

Brandi Carlisle ~ The Story: I first heard this song just by sheer happenstance. Much to the chagrin of my family, I am a huge fan of the weekly radio variety show A Prairie Home Companion. The reasons for my obsession are another story for another day. On this particular Saturday I was grilling by the creek (I have to admit, I miss that) and listening to APHC. The musical guest for that week was Brandi Carlisle. I had never heard of her, nor had I heard the song she would sing, The Story. In an instant I stopped what I was doing and just listened. I didn't even sit down, I just stood there and listened. It was beautiful, haunting, moving and strangely familiar. It was like I knew this song, but I had never heard it. It was as if The Story was my story. I'm not much of a fan of the rest of her music, though I do like a few of her songs a lot, this song is in my top 25 for sure. The pain in her voice when she sings the chorus at the end of the song brings tears to my eyes upon every listen. It's one of those songs that just about anyone can hear themselves in. Maybe you will to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8pQLtHTPaI

Ofelia ~ Hawk Fly Tiger Run: Ok, so I'll admit up front that I have absolutely no idea what this song is even about, but I love it, which is very rare for me because I generally love a song for its lyrics, not its sound, but this song has the coolest, stripped down, subtle sound. She and I discovered this song while watching the one show we both like. I really don't even know what to say about this song except, I haven't heard anything else like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ht12f4Dd0

Dirty Guv'nahs ~ We'll Be The Light: I struggled with deciding which of their songs I wanted to suggest, so I settled on several. This band is made up of a bunch of guys from Tennessee, so they've got to be good :) The lead singer is actually the cousin of one of my best friends, and that's who introduced me to them. I am so glad he did. They kind of remind me of early Black Crowes, and you know how I feel about that. At times I even feel like I'm hearing a little Rolling Stones. It's nice to know that there are still bands making rock-n-roll music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3N6x47UPV8
Also, We Were Young: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJWnDD5h6uE
One more, The Country: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMIv1GQIb8U
These lines, oh my word, don't they just say it all?
“It’s hard, hard to walk away from you
But we don’t live at the same speed.
You’re gonna make somebody happy.
But that someone, ain’t me.”
“Cause when you’re thinking bout the country
You’re just trying to be with me
Seasons change the way that we are
and spring changed me.”

Marc Broussard ~ Home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuWPseegaKw This boy crawled out of the swamps of Carencro, Louisiana and was apparently baptized in the blues. And yes, the guy in the video is actually the one who sings this song. How that sound comes out of that little white boy I'll never know. I can't dance, I don't dance, but this song makes me get up and move. This song is like an old timey, southern revival. I challenge you to keep from clapping your hands and stomping your feet.

That's all for this time. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to share your obscure, lesser known, hidden gems. I love being introduced to new, cool music.

No comments:

Post a Comment