Sunday, June 3, 2012

Quotes I Love

Day 164 (Written Thursday May 24) ~ I collect many things: rocks, copies of the book “Don’t Stop The Carnival” by Herman Wouk, vinyl records, Louisiana artifacts, and quotes. I collect quotes. I have lists and lists of quotes all over. They are written on random pieces of paper, typed in computer files, printed on plaques. They are all around me. I collect them because I love the power of words, their ability to evoke emotion and provoke action and shape thought. I decided that I am going to start sharing some of my favorite quotes with those who read my blog in hopes of passing on the wisdom and humor contained therein. Here are a few I love. I hope you enjoy: Life’s too short to worry, life’s too long to wait, life’s too short not to love everybody, life is too long to hate. Todd Snider Worry is like praying for what you don’t want to happen. A good teacher says 500 things one time, a great teacher says one thing 500 times. "God’s ways have always been mysterious. Who but God would select one childless couple to begin His chosen nation or allow His own Son to be born in poverty and live infancy as a refugee? Who but God would let the denier preach on Pentecost or call the persecutor to preach? Who but God would allow His lead evangelist to work and write from prison? Part of God’s ongoing mystery story is His amazing ability to use the most unlikely people in the most unlikely settings to accomplish His will. Prison bars may limit mobility, but they cannot limit service. They may limit freedom, but they cannot limit faith. God can work over, through, and around every circumstance." One Sabbath, a minister began his sermon in this way: "I'd like to make three points today.  First, there are millions of people around the world who are going to hell.  Second, most of us sitting here today do not give a damn about it."  After a lengthy pause he continued: "My third point is that you are more concerned that I, your pastor, said the word damn than you are about the millions of people going to hell."

No comments:

Post a Comment