Friday, June 29, 2012

Far Side Of The World

Day 201 (Written Saturday June 30) ~ Songs I Cannot Sing: Far Side Of The World As much as I love Jimmy Buffett songs, this is the only one to make the list of songs I cannot sing. Actually, I only learned that I cannot sing this song last week, during a trip home from South Carolina through rural Georgia by myself. As I drove through places like Vidalia, Augusta and Lakeland, I began singing along with this song and quickly realized it is one of the most autobiographical songs on my list. Ten years ago when this song was released it didn’t meant that much to me, but this morning as I get ready to leave the house and begin the trip, I contemplate the lyrics and they fit into the center of my heart like a long missing puzzle piece. “...I’m halfway round the planet, in a most unlikely place. Following my song line past bamboo shacks and shops, behind a jitney packed like sardines, with bananas piled on top. I ran away from politics, it’s too bizarre at home....awakened by a stewardess with Spain somewhere below, on the threshold of adventure, God I do love this job so! So while I make my move on the big board game, up and down a Spanish highway some things remain the same. Girls meet boys and boys tease girls. I’m heading out this morning for the far side of the world. Oh I believe in song lines, obvious and not, I’ve ridden them like camels to some most peculiar spots. They run across the oceans through mountains and saloons, and tonight out to the desert where I sit atop this dune. I was destined for this vantage point which is so far from the sea, I’ve lived it in the pages of Saint-Exupery. From Paris to Tunisia, Casablanca to Dakar. I was riding long before I flew through the wind and sand and stars. Time to sing, time to dance, living out my second chance, sleeping bags and battle flags are coiled and furled. That’s the way you travel to the far side of the world. Back at home it’s afternoon six thousand miles away, it will still be there when I get through attending this soiree. There are jobs and chores and questions, and plates I need to twirl, but tonight I’ll take my chances on the far side of the world.” Some of you will think this is weird, but some of you will get it and it will pluck your heartstrings, and maybe, just maybe, it will prompt you to find your own song line and begin to follow it. I hope you will, it’s an amazing ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment