Thursday, May 10, 2012

Songs I Cannot Sing (Volume 7): The Shape Of Things

Day 137 (Written Friday April 27) ~ Maybe its because I’m getting older and more sentimental with age, or maybe I’m just a big cry baby, but more and more I’m discovering songs that I cannot sing without getting emotional. It happened again to me today while listening to some music with my oldest. The song, “The Shape Of Things” by Adam Hood came on the iPod and within a few lines my face was contorting in that we it does when we try to hold back our tears. I think the reason it struck such a chord with me is because of the very autobiographical content of these lyrics. Adam Hood and I are about the same age, have similar upbringings and lifestyles that take us all over the place and away from family and home frequently and for extended periods of time. I actually met him several years ago and he was a really nice guy. He even let me call my boys and got on the phone with them and said hey to them and gave them a sticker and autographed it. Anyway, these lyrics hit close to home and make me sad, proud, scared and motivated. Check the song out sometime. “I’ve been trying hard to hold up my end of the deal, running back to a well that’s running dry. Yes, I’ve had a hard time keeping up with everything, but I guess I’ve had a lot on my mind. And it shows on my face that it’s changing me, and everyone’s so glad to point it out. And the shape of things keeps moving but I try to stay the same and I hope some day it’ll all come back around. If you’d stat me down at seventeen and stared me in the face and said this is where you’ll be at 35, I’d have run like mad the other way till I ran out of steam ‘cause a dream is more than how I survive. I’m not above needing forgiveness. I’m not above amazing grace. Show me someone afraid of living and I’ll show you someone who’s never made mistakes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment