Thursday, May 10, 2012

One For The Road

Day 143 (Written Thursday May 3) ~ I’ve been asked a dozen times what I’m going to miss the most when I leave home. Obviously it is my parents and family and friends, but beyond that, it’s likely to be Friday afternoons on the square, at the library and going to Reeve’s for a milkshake. For nearly 15 years I’ve been making the trip to the square on Friday’s to take the radio program I did to WKSR. While uptown I would walk the square, talk to people, go to Reeve’s for my special milkshake and then drop by the library. I am going to miss that. I came to look forward to it so much. I always hated when it was raining on Fridays because it dampened the mood (pun intended). My favorite time was either early spring or early fall when the temperature was just right, the color of the sunlight was perfect and the colors were vibrant. I will miss that. Today I went and did that for one last time (hopefully not forever, but certainly as a resident), although it was a Thursday and not a Friday (tomorrow I will be driving a U Haul to Georgia). My milkshakes at Reeve’s have a special recipe that they don’t normally use and I ain’t telling what it is. Let me just say that I have to teach the ladies up there how to make it, which they have always so graciously done. I got one last milkshake at it was good and it will have to do me until at least June 1st, which is a Friday and I will be back in town and will be heading straight to Reeve’s. When I walked out of Reeve’s I decided to take a good, long look at the square and soak it all in. While I did, I noticed a heart shaped hole in the clouds in the sky above the courthouse. A fitting send off for me since there will forever be a Pulaski shaped hole in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment