Thursday, May 10, 2012

It’s Been A Lovely Cruise

Day 144 (Written Friday May 4) ~ For those of you who frequently read my blog, it must seem like my whole world revolves around food and music. I have to admit, both are a pretty big part of my life. Blame it on too much tv as a kid, but I’ve always viewed my life through a soundtrack. Have you ever noticed that in movies the music playing in the background is meant to tell you how to feel at that moment (happy, sad, scared, angry, suspenseful)? I guess I feel that is how my real life should be. My life, at least in my mind, has come with a soundtrack accompanying it. When significant endings come into my life, I find myself reflecting back upon one song in particular that summarizes so much of what I have and am feeling. That song is “Lovely Cruise” by Jimmy Buffett. As a disclaimer, let me say that although the song contains the lyrics, “Drink it up, this one’s for you”, I choose to interpret, for my purposes, this to refer to a toast raised of a milkshake.
“Drink it up, this one’s for you, it’s been a lovely cruise. I’m sorry it’s ended, oh it’s sad, but it’s true, it’s been a lovely cruise. These moments we’re left with, may you always remember, these moments were shared by a few. There’s wind in our hair and there’s water in our shoes, honey, it’s been a lovely cruise....we bid our farewell much too soon, it’s been a lovely cruise.” Today, 12 generations in my family and 36 years of my life come to an end. My ancestor came to Giles County before Tennessee was even a state. My two sons make 12 consecutive generations of our family to be born and raised here in Giles County. I spent two years in Memphis in school, but other than that, I’ve never, not lived in Pulaski. That all changes today. By the time you are reading this, I am in a Penske moving van, heading 500 miles down the interstate to my new home, Lake Park, Georgia. I will not pretend that my heart isn’t breaking because it is. It will never be the same again. When I return, it will be as a visitor. I strongly doubt I will ever live here again. Each time I return it will be a little more different. New people will live here, old people will have died, new businesses will open and old ones will close. I love my home town. I love the people in this community. I have a million memories that I relieve simply by driving from my house to the grocery store or the post office. This is where I met my wife, where we went on our first date, where my children were born and so many other things. I love being able to leave my car running when I run in to the grocery store without worrying about it being stolen. I love store owners who let me get my purchase even when I forget my wallet, trusting that I will come in later and pay for it. I love being called by my name in the post office. I love walking into Reeve’s and having the ladies in the deli being making me a chocolate milkshake without me even having to ask. I love everyone in town being at the high school football game on Friday nights. I love going to Wal Mart and seeing everyone you know. I love you Pulaski, and I’m going to miss you. It’s been a lovely cruise. PS - I can’t wait to see you in June!

No comments:

Post a Comment