Friday, April 13, 2012

Hardest Parts Of Marriage (Volume 2): Forgiveness


Day 115 (Written Thursday April 5) ~ Repeat after me: Your spouse is going to do something wrong and hurt, irritate, disappoint or frustrate you. At times like this it is important to remember that you too will do these same things to your spouse. It is easy to acknowledge and accept this as a fact right now, but tomorrow or next week when it actually happens, let’s see how quick you are to remember and accept this fact. Although we all know this is true, in the moment, when emotions are running high, its not so easy to remember.
Here is something she and I have learned through 18 years of marriage: remember I love you more than anything in this world and would never KNOWINGLY and INTENTIONALLY hurt you. I will hurt you. I will disappoint you. But I would never do it on purpose. I would never say to myself, “I know this will hurt her/him, but I’m going to do it anyway.” If I hurt you it will likely be due to ignorance or because I was frustrated or tired myself. Intent makes a big difference. If I intend to hurt you that is malicious and hard to defend. If I unintentionally hurt you that is human and understandable. And most important, forgivable.

No comments:

Post a Comment