Friday, April 13, 2012

The ATL

Day 116 (Written Friday April 6) ~ I have always hated Atlanta. I hate the traffic. I don’t like the people. I’m not impressed by the architecture. I just don’t like Atlanta. That’s really saying something because one of my greatest childhood memories is tied to Atlanta (a trip with my Grandaddy Sam and Big Mama to the zoo and to see the Braves the summer before he died) [http://www.brandonbritton.blogspot.com/2012/01/36-day-44-written-tuesday-january-24.html]. Still I hate Atlanta. Well I hated Atlanta.
Right now we are staying at the Marriott Marquis in downtown Atlanta. A massive 47 story, 1,600 room convention center. The hotel is an impressive sight to behold. From our 24th floor room I have a perspective on the city that I’ve never had before. As I’ve mentioned many times before, I have an affinity for big cities, downtown areas and skylines (http://www.brandonbritton.blogspot.com/2012/03/bright-lights-big-city.html). Being this high up has allowed me to sit and study the city from a unique perspective that I’ve never enjoyed. Usually I am passing through the city on the interstate at 70 miles per hour. Today I have been sitting in a very comfortable chair looking out a picture window. I was able to see the capital building, several high rise hotels and office buildings, the Georgia Dome and one of my favorite sights was the Fox Theater. I have two records (Jimmy Buffett “You Had To Be There” and Chris and Rich Robinson “Brothers Of A Feather”) that were recorded in that building. I could also see the airport and was able to watch airplanes line up single file to land. It was fascinating to see it from a panoramic perspective. Another cool part was watching a guy on what was essentially a swing cleaning the windows of a 30 story building. I watched him with my mouth hanging open as he bounced around like Spiderman, with nothing but a plank of wood and some safety harness ropes between him and a three hundred foot fall.
I don’t love Atlanta, I don’t think I even really like Atlanta, but I can say for sure now that at least I no longer hate Atlanta.





No comments:

Post a Comment