Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Songs I Cannot Sing (Volume 3): Forever Young


36, Day 97 (Written Sunday March 18) ~ Bob Dylan writes some of the most powerful, memorable and true songs ever recorded, but listening to him sing them is almost unbearable. Fortunately, a lot of very talented singers have taken his lyrics and transformed them into memorable and moving songs to listen to. My favorite of all of those is his song "Forever Young." (not to be confused with Rod Stewart's song of the same title). I don't care for Bob Dylans version at all. My favorite version is done by brothers Chris and Rich Robinson of The Black Crowes. The final encore of their DVD "Brothers Of A Feather" (a live all acoustic set with just these two brothers) is a cover of this song. The first time I heard it the song broke my heart with joy, hope and prayers for the future. I have tried to sing along with this song a hundred times and I've never been able to get through it. I can't even listen to it without breaking down.
Like so many songs that cut me to the core, this song makes me think of my sons and my prayers for their future. If my life were a Hallmark movie starring Alan Thicke (in the role of me), I would sing this song at the reception when they get married. In real life, I could never make it through the first verse.
"May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true, may you always do for others, and let others do for you. May you build a ladder to the stars, and climb on every rung, and may you stay, forever young. May you grow up to be righteous, may you grow up to be true, may you always know the truth, and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong, and may you stay, forever young. May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift, may you have a strong foundation, when the winds of changes shift. May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung, and may you stay, forever young."
It's funny, even typing these words squeezes the emotions out of my heart like a sponge. My oldest is actually sitting beside me as I type this, oblivious to what I am writing. Even if he knew, he won't be able to really "get it" until he has a child of his own. I rarely listen to this song, and only when no one else is around because I do want my wife to still look at me and think I'm a man, and that would be hard if she ever saw how pitiful I get when I hear this song. Isn't it amazing how you can love something so much that breaks your heart so easily? Isn't it amazing that even though you know what is coming, it brings your emotions out so powerfully every time? I guess this song speaks to me so powerfully because it conveys in a very beautiful and poetic way, the sentiment of one of my favorite Jimmy Buffett lines, "I'm growing older, but not up." I have a few years on me now. I'm not "old" but I'm not "young" either. My boys aren't babies anymore, and never will be again, but I hope they never lose that lust for life that seems to be so strong in those who are young. It has nothing to do with age or your body, and everything to do with your heart and your outlook on life. And in that vein, I hope you stay forever young.

No comments:

Post a Comment