Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Little Old Ladies

Day 86 (Written Wednesday March 7) ~ For over ten years I had an amazing privilege, that although I did appreciate, I took it too much for granted. I taught the ladies Bible class. It was predominately made up of retired women, actually all but a few were what we would consider little old ladies. They were brilliant Bible students, they asked some of the most challenging questions, contributed insightful comments and were a pleasure to be around. I counseled many of them when their husbands passed away, sat by them while they were in the hospital and performed their funerals when they died. In short, I got very close to these ladies, spending countless hours with them for over a decade. They made me feel like I had 50 grandmothers. They have amazing life stories with tales of the Depression, New Orleans in the 50’s and World War II. Many of them taught me in Sunday school when I was a child, which made it all the more special to be able to be their Bible class teacher. One of the hardest parts of changing congregations was leaving this class, and these ladies behind. I ran into one of these ladies today and her words we so encouraging, complimentary and loving. Jade has always told me they were my little old lady mafia and would make anyone who did or said anything bad about me regret it. Now that I go long periods of time without seeing them, when I do see them, their aging is far more apparent. They’ve done so much good for so many people for such a long time, it makes me sad to think that one by one they are leaving us. I don’t know where I’d be without my little old ladies, but I know it wouldn’t be as good of a place as I am now. It’s also much easier to step out in faith and do the scary things when you know you’ve got them praying for you daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment