Monday, March 12, 2012

I Ain’t As Good As I Once Was


36, Day 82 (Written Saturday March 3) ~ Today I did something that I haven’t done in quite awhile. I played backyard football. My family went on a family retreat to Camp Meribah in Centerville, TN with the Pulaski Street Church of Christ. After our devo’s, we played a game of combat jump 21 basketball, which I bowed out of because I didn’t want a broken nose or sprained ankle, and then we played backyard football. The youngest was my son Kase (14) and the oldest, I believe was my favorite preacher Lonnie Jones (50+?). In between were plenty of young, healthy, fast, strong, athletic young men and several over the hill, desk job, 40 pounds overweight dads like me.
I was the 3rd to the last pick (did I mention that my two sons were captains?), but there was a time when I would have been the first pick taken hands down. That was a long time ago. Back in Green Acres subdivision I was Dan Marino, Walter Peyton, Jerry Rice and Lawrence Taylor all wrapped up in one. We played full tackle football in those days and I was a force to be reckoned with, delivering punishing hits, throwing pinpoint precise passes and scoring touchdowns at will as I left a trail of defenders steamrolled or juked out of their shoes. At least that’s how I remember it.
Today was a little different. I didn’t dominate the game, but I played very well. I scored a few touchdowns and never let a guy I was covering catch a pass, but I also fell flat on my face trying to sack the quarterback and can already feel the stiffening and soreness beginning to creep in. But I had so much fun. It felt just like it did when I was a kid, only my body just would not do some of the things that my athletic brain was telling it to do. You want to know the best part.........I didn’t get hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment