Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Colonel Sanders, Muhammed Ali and Me

Day 91 (Written Monday March 12) ~ Colonel Sanders, Muhammed Ali and Me
What in the world could these three people possibly have in common? Like Colonel Sanders I love fried chicken and like Muhammad Ali I’m a bad man. Ok so maybe one of those isn’t true, can you guess which one? Actually what we three have in common is Louisville, Kentucky. I am currently in a hotel in Louisville on Muhammad Ali Boulevard and across the street from the KFC Yum Center.
For 13 years I’ve been passing through Louisville on my way to Muncie and Fort Wayne, Indiana, but I’ve never been able to stop here. I figure I’ve seen this city from the interstate over 20 times but I’ve never seen it as more than a skyline (although I do love city skylines). I knew when my meeting in Muncie ended last night that I wouldn’t be able to drive all the way home and I didn’t want to stay in Muncie and have an 8 hour drive ahead of me today, so I decided this would be a perfect opportunity to get to meet Louisville face to face. I booked a hotel in downtown Louisville (about halfway home) and have been thankful I did.
Everyone knows that New Orleans is my favorite city, but Louisville has been making its case for second. The city is filled with majestic old churches and buildings with magnificent architecture and it is set right on the river. It is my favorite skyline, especially when viewed from the bridge leading in from Indiana. Its also a plus that a 24 hours Papa John’s is literally in the parking lot of this hotel! I float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, but not if I keep eating Papa John’s and KFC.

No comments:

Post a Comment