Thursday, February 16, 2012

I See My Future In The Rearview Mirror


36, Day 66 (Written Wednesday February 15) ~ 4:00 am wake up call. 6:00 am departure. We have two weeks worth of our lives packed into our little mini-van (I can almost hear her chanting, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can). It is all worth it though for days like today.
In a previous blog I told you all about Marvin and Miss Diane Cooper, who were the catalyst for my love of all things Louisiana. From the time I was 14 until I was 21 there were few weeks that went by where I wasn't at their house and eating at their table. They were like a second family. Sadly, life is constantly in motion and it eventually moved us away from them. In fact I hadn't seen Marvin and Diane in 15 years, that is, until today.
While driving to New Orleans we decided to make a little detour to Whynot, Mississippi (no joke). Marvin is a preacher in this tiny town and we stopped by for a surprise visit. It was so good to see them after all of these years and they haven't changed a bit. Marvin is still just as enthusiastic in everything he tells you as he ever was and Miss Diane is, as always, one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet. And, surprise, surprise, she was cooking. It wasn't her gumbo, but it was some delicious beef tips that she shared with us (along with bags of cookies and chips and everything else she could find). I hope it's not another 15 years before I get to see them again, but this brief little visit was food for the soul (not chicken soup, gumbo).

No comments:

Post a Comment