Thursday, December 29, 2011

36, Day 16 (Written Monday December 26) ~ Broken Records And Broken Hearts


Tonight started with a lot of fun and excitement. The boys and I sat together and watched the Saints game and cheered for Drew Brees as he broke the NFL record for most yards passing in a season. The record he broke belonged to Dan Marino, my childhood football hero. Right this moment there is a Dan Marino jersey hanging in my closet and a Dan Marino autographed football sitting in my son’s bedroom. I love Drew Brees, and I’m a Saints fan, so I was excited to watch him break the record, which he did. We all cheered as we watched history being made and the torch being passed.

Shortly after that, an old friend came by to visit and told us of some tragic and traumatic things that had occurred in their life recently. Suddenly I was crushed and heartbroken. This is someone we love very much, and have for a very long time, and they were hurting badly, yet there was nothing we could really do about it. We listened, we hugged and we talked, but we couldn’t turn back the clock and we couldn’t take away the hurt they were feeling. Tonight I will go to bed very saddened and feeling helpless. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly life can turn you on your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment