Monday, June 18, 2012

Talking With Old Men

Day 181 (Written Sunday June 10) ~Lately I’ve picked up a new hobby. It’s something I’ve done many, many times for many, many years, but lately I’ve been really attuned to how enjoyable it can be. What is this hobby? Talking, or more accurately, really listening to old men. Please understand “old” is not used in a derogatory fashion, but merely a descriptive one. On the contrary, I have the utmost respect and appreciation for them. I love to listen to them describe life when it was simple. They are like a living history book describing life on a small farm, the Depression, the war and telling tales that need to be heard. They tell their stories with such enthusiasm. They speak with their whole bodies, raising their voices for emphasis, gesturing with their hands and scrunching their faces intensely. I love talking to them because they are a direct link to a time that will likely be no more. Digging deeper, it probably also has something to do with the fact that both my grandfathers are gone and through these men I can have an emotional connection to the old men who meant so much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment